Thursday, October 18, 2012

October Horror Challenge 2012 - Day 17


 Viewings got underway with TERROR AT TENKILLER, before I went to bed. Luckily enough this was a total bore and got me ready for bed. It is a shot-on-video 80s slasher that is on a double feature DVD with The Last Slumber Party. I actually had a bit of a panic attack hoping I wouldn't accidentally select The Last Slumber Party to play instead of TAT and I'd have to relive the painful memory of that disaster. The nicest thing about TAT I can say is that at least it wasn't The Last Slumber Party.



After getting some sleep, the first viewing after waking was THE GIRL IN ROOM 2A, an Italian horror film about a woman recently released from jail who just moved in to a creepy boarding house and has an encounter with a cult. It is schlocky and entertaining. There is also a cool costume that reminded me of a cheap ripoff of Emilio Miraglia's superior Red Queen. This film is nothing incredible but it is worth a watch and potentially more if Italian horror is your thing. It is mine.



Next up was a movie I've given chances to in the past and after years between viewings and a good friend's love for it I decided to give it one last shot. I still don't like THE HILLS HAVE EYES PART 2. It's a cheaper, lazier version of the Wes Craven classic. Our mutant antagonists don't seem nearly as intimidating and the majority of our victims are stupid and annoying. It isn't the worst thing I've watched this month by far, but I'm not a fan.


I checked out the remake of NIGHT OF THE DEMONS next which I've heard a lot about... and it was pretty awful. The effects are part of what make the 80s cheesefest so much fun and they're dumbed down to shitty CGI here. I'll give it credit for having a cool trick or treating scene in the beginning where a guy attacks an asshole who steals candy with a paintball gun and the soundtrack has some serious jams on it (Code Blue is a great song) but overall it was pretty whack.


THE PERFUME OF THE LADY IN BLACK was next, another Italian film. This is a beautiful mix of giallo, psychological horror and devil cult horror. It goes crazy between reality, fantasy and dreams. Mimsy Farmer is fantastic and gorgeous as our lead and the supporting cast is just as good. This is one of the best new viewings I've watched this month. Think a giallo version of Repulsion inside of a satanic cult.

I closed out the day with the premiere of AMERICAN HORROR STORY: ASYLUM. It is off to a good start with all sorts storylines being set up. I can't wait to see where it goes.

Today's Rundown
Terror At Tenkiller - 3/10
The Girl In Room 2A - 6/10
The Hills Have Eyes 2 - 4/10
Night Of The Demons - 3.5/10
The Perfume Of The Lady In Black - 8.5/10

No comments: